Global Exposure A Drag On S&P 500 Earnings

The relative outperformance of the U.S. economy to that of Europe and most of the rest of the world has been noted in the headlines for some time now. Related to this, the consequences of slow global growth on U.S. firms has been the subject of intense growth among financial analysts stateside and abroad.

A November 14th report from FactSet Insight highlights that S&P 500 firms with significant global exposure performed relatively poorly in Q3 earnings relative to their peers with minimal exposure.

FactSet’s methodology involved dividing the S&P 500 index into two groups: firms that record more than 50% of sales inside the U.S. and firms that record more than 50% of sales outside the U.S. Total earnings and revenue growth rates for both groups were then calculated and compared.

S&P 500

Relative S&P 500 earnings growth

The FactSet analysis shows that blended earnings growth for the S&P 500 as a whole  is 7.9%. For companies that generate more than 50% of sales inside the U.S., the blended earnings growth rate is 9.0%. For companies that generate more than 50% of sales ex U.S., the blended earnings growth rate is 6.5%.

Relative S&P 500 sales growth

FactSet’s analysis also highlighted that blended sales growth for the entire S&P 500 is 4.0%. For companies that record more than 50% of sales inside the U.S., the blended sales growth rate is 5.1%. For companies that record more than 50% of sales ex U.S., the blended sales growth rate is 1.6%.

Understanding international exposure and geopolitical risk

FactSet also reminds investors that you typically have to do a little digging to get an accurate picture of the degree of international exposure of a particular firm. Samsung, for example, is most often categorized as having 100% geographic exposure to South Korea. That, of course, is not the case, as international conglomerate Samsung’s exposure in South Korea is somewhere around 10%, with the remaining 90% from hundreds of other countries across the globe.

LEAVE A COMMENT


Saved Articles
X
TextTExtLInkTextTExtLInk

The Life and Career of Charlie Munger

Charlie is more than just Warren Buffett’s friend and Berkshire Hathaway’s Vice Chairman – Buffett has actually credited him with redefining how he looks at investing. Now you can learn from Charlie firsthand via this incredible ebook and over a dozen other famous investor studies by signing up below:

  • Learn from the best and forever change your investing perspective
  • One incredible tidbit of knowledge after another in the page-turning masterpiece of a book
  • Discover the secrets to Charlie’s success and how to apply it to your investing
Never Miss A Story!
Subscribe to ValueWalk Newsletter. We respect your privacy.

Congrats! Are you a smart person?

We have an exclusive targeted & limited time offer for being a sophisticated and loyal reader.

ValueWalkPremium is a website and newsletter on the latest industry news much of which is not in the public domain and obtained via our sources.

We also have 10 years of resources on how to use this information to better your investment process.

Sign up for  today and get our exclusive content for 40% off. This is our second biggest discount ever!!

Use coupon code VIP20 or click on the button below

Limited time offer only ENDS 4/30/2020 or after the next 40 subscribers take advantage whichever comes first – please do not share this discount with others

 

0