Old School Value Nugget Fest (Apr 25th Edition)Mike
Old School Value Articles You May Have Missed
Common sense stuff. The market is jittery about the expectations of more interest hikes. One way to combat that is to protect yourself with valuation. Making sure you don’t buy too high.
My thoughts on that and how.
Common Investing Mistakes to Avoid Like the Plague
I share 5 of my common mistakes that I avoid (or try to) like the plague. These are the blood sucking ones that can wipe you out.
What We’re Reading in the Media
- Amazon is #1 American Customer Satisfaction Index for 8th year in a row
- > 560,000 Amazonians who come to work every day
- High standards are teachable.
- You can consider yourself a person of high standards in general and still have debilitating blind spots.
- Unrealistic beliefs on scope – often hidden and undiscussed – kill high standards.
- Perhaps a little less obvious: people are drawn to high standards – they help with recruiting and retention.
- More subtle: a culture of high standards is protective of all the “invisible” but crucial work that goes on in every company. I’m talking about the work that no one sees. The work that gets done when no one is watching. In a high standards culture, doing that work well is its own reward – it’s part of what it means to be a professional.
- Four elements of high standards: they are teachable, they are domain specific, you must recognize them, and you must explicitly coach realistic scope.
- 100 million paid Prime members
- Amazon Web Services, a $20 billion revenue run rate
- Global Selling program (enabling SMBs to sell products across national borders) grew by over 50% in 2017. Cross-border ecommerce by SMBs represents > 25% of total third-party sales.
- Customer embrace of Alexa continues. 2017 was best year for Amazon hardware sales.
- Prime Video – Prime Video continues to drive Prime member adoption and retention.
- Amazon Music – Amazon Music continues to grow fast and now has tens of millions of paid customers.
- Amazon Go, a new kind of store with no checkout required, opened to the public in January in Seattle.
- Treasure Trucks – Our bubble-blowing, music-pumping trucks fulfilled hundreds of thousands of orders
- inis the fastest growing marketplace in India, and the most visited site on both desktop and mobile, according to comScore and SimilarWeb.
- Millions of small and medium-sized businesses worldwide now sell their products through Amazon to reach new customers around the globe.
- Tesla says its factory is safer. But it left injuries off the books
- Herbalife prepared a ‘secret dossier’ on Bill Ackman as it geared up for fight with activist
- Alphabet Soup: Google is Alpha, but where are the Bets?
- Can Machines Produce Better Earnings Forecasts Than Humans?
What is Old School Value?
Old School Value is a suite of value investing tools designed to fatten your portfolio by identifying what stocks to buy and sell.
It is a stock grader, value screener, and valuation tools for the busy investor designed to help you pick stocks 4x faster.
Check out the live preview of AMZN, MSFT, BAC, AAPL and FB.