Activist Funds Among Top Performing Hedge Funds In AugustGuest Post
Overall industry hedge fund performance in August came in at +0.04%, bringing year to date (YTD) 2018 industry performance to +1.10%, according to the latest eVestment hedge fund performance data. Among primary strategies, Event Driven-Activist funds were among the big winners in August, with performance of +1.93%, bringing YTD performance to +2.72%.
Other interesting figures in the August data include:
- Managed Futures funds also put up strong returns in August, coming in at +1.77% for the month, although these funds’ performance is still negative for the year at -1.83%.
- Macro funds were the only primary strategy to post negative returns for the month, with performance coming in at -0.30%. Multi-Strategy Funds and Market Neutral Equity funds were just barely positive for the month however at +0.04% and +0.09% respectively.
- Bigger wasn’t better in August, with the 10 largest hedge funds reporting to eVestment coming in negative at -0.04% in August, although those 10 largest funds are positive for the year at +1.30%.
- Big Managed Futures funds were positive for August, with returns for the 10 largest Managed Futures funds coming in at +2.81% in August, although those 10 largest funds are still negative for the year at -2.86%.
- Funds focused on the BRIC countries were generally negative in August, with only India-focused funds eking out positive results for the month at +0.08%. India-focused funds are deeply negative for the year however at -10.06% and far from their stellar performance of +32.87% in 2017.
Beginning this month, eVestment has discontinued distribution of the full monthly hedge fund performance report. Going forward, more detailed monthly hedge fund performance data will be included in the monthly eVestment asset flows report, which will continue to be available around the third week of the month. You may find that report and all eVestment research reports here. You can also subscribe to receive all eVestment research reports via email at this link.
Article by eVestment