The Best And Worst Futures Markets In 2018Guest Post
With 2018 coming to a close, we’d once again like to take a look at the best and worst of this year’s futures markets. Using the year to date tab over on finviz on the last day of the year lets us see the 2018 performance of 48 futures markets:
What we noticed:
- VIX exploded more than doubling from its levels this time last year (folks like LJM know all about that)
- There’s barely any green on this board, with 77% of markets ending in the red. (!!!)
- And the ones that were positive (ignoring the VIX) were hardly so, averaging a YoY gain of just 9.4%.
- Ag markets were in focus, with Corn, Oats, and Wheat able to escape the tariff drama that besieged Soybeans, each gaining nicely.
- There’s a correlation between the cheaper fill ups you’ve been seeing at the gas tank and Crude Oil down -25%.
- For the first time in a long time – all the bond futures markets were down on the year (rates higher) as the Fed tightening cycle played out.
2018, as usual in our world, was an interesting year in the markets. 2019 brings a whole new slew of opportunities and we’re just as excited as always to see what happens next. Keep an eye out in January for our 2018 Strategy Review and our 2019 Outlook.
Article by RCM Alternatives