Ben Graham Centre's 2017 Seminar On Value Investing And The Search For ValueVW Staff
Ben Graham Centre's 2017 Seminar On Value Investing And The Search For Value
July 17-21, 2017
Dr. George Athanassakos will offer a highly sought after five day seminar on Value Investing and the Search for Value to finance executives, finance professionals, portfolio managers, financial analysts and individual investors seeking knowledge of value creation, valuation and value investing theory and practice. Mr. Josh Tarasoff, General Partner, Greenlea Lane Capital Partners, LP, will be a guest speaker on July 21.
About the Ben Graham Centre's 2017 Seminar
- Competition for portfolio management jobs and alpha (i.e., risk-adjusted excess returns) is fierce
- Search for value and valuation skills and a deep understanding of what creates value are essential
- The seminar provides the skill set and an understanding of value necessary to beat the competition
- This is done by bridging the gap between theory and practice and hands on training
- The seminar explores the underlying principles of value investing and sets guidelines for its successful application
- The seminar covers
- The search for value process, how to find possibly underpriced securities and why such underpricing exists in the financial markets
- How to determine the intrinsic value of a stock and invest in truly undervalued stocks
- Alternative methods for constructing a portfolio that controls for risk without restricting investment returns
- Applications – Valuing and investing in real life companies
- Simple rules to identify stocks that are possibly undervalued with upside potential
- To put together simple mechanical strategies to form portfolios that in the long run will outperform the market portfolio
- How value is created
- In depth valuation techniques to further narrow down the universe of stocks to those that are truly undervalued with larger upside potential than the stocks identified with the simpler rules mentioned above
- To use the concept of “Margin of Safety” to translate market and intrinsic value estimates into actual portfolio choices and limit risk in a way that goes beyond diversification
- The seminar, which spans five days (and 35 contact hours), consists of two segments
- The first segment is based on lectures, where the principles underlying the theoretical aspects of value investing are taught
- The second segment provides an opportunity to apply these principles by working on, discussing and demonstrating their application through a number of valuations of real life companies
- Break out groups of students work on each valuation exercise during class time for about an hour and a half
- The class reconvenes for another hour and a half at which time the valuation of each company is discussed and a recommendation of “Invest” or “Not Invest” is made
Who Should Attend
- Undergraduate and Graduate Business Students
- Portfolio Managers
- Finance Professionals
- Finance Executives
- Individual Investors*
*Please note: Having a basic knowledge in finance and accounting is strongly recommended. A one day tutorial to build the necessary prerequisite knowledge is offered prior to the seminar. Contact us at [email protected] for more information.
Dr. George Athanassakos
- Professor Athanassakos is a Professor of Finance and the Ben Graham Chair in Value Investing at the Richard Ivey School of Business, The University of Western Ontario
- He has been ranked among the top 10 researchers in Canada and among the top 10 Canadian professors
- He has researched extensively the Canadian Capital Markets, Stock and Bond Market Anomalies, and Bond and Equity Valuation Issues both from a Traditional Valuation and Value Investing point of view
- He is the author of numerous academic research papers and of two books, Derivatives Fundamentals and Equity Valuation
- He has offered valuation seminars to Canadian and US valuator societies and in Australia, Chile, Colombia, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Finland, Greece, Italy, South Africa and the UK
- He is recipient of teaching awards – his teaching ratings are among the highest given at the University, irrespective of whether the seminars taught were in Canada or abroad
- A Globe and Mail article entitled “Face time with the stars: High-profile names help business schools attract the brightest students” indicates that Dr. George Athanassakos is a draw for students at the Richard Ivey School of Business and includes him in the club of Canadian superstar teachers
- Click here to read a research paper by Dr. George Athanassakos that details the performance of the investing decision process taught in the Value Investing Seminar
July 17-21, 2017. The seminar is limited to 34 participants, so please register early.
Downtown Toronto, Ontario.
Mr. Josh Tarasoff, General Partner, Greenlea Lane Capital Partners, LP, will be a guest speaker on July 21.
“The value investing program that George established and teaches at the Ivey School of Business for the last 5 years is #1 in Canada and at par with Columbia's program which has been in operation for over 70 years. It took us and Ivey some time to fill this position as we wanted to find the right professor with a value perspective, a professor like George, and boy did we luck out with George. He is a fabulous professor and has done an outstanding job teaching and developing value investing, which we are now thinking of expanding globally”.
Chairman and CEO, Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd.
From speeches given on February 16, 2011 and April 25, 2012.
“I was very impressed by both the quality and the international representation of the participants in your seminar. You are to be congratulated for all you are doing to advance the craft of value investing.”
-Jeffrey D. Stacey
Managing Partner, Stacey Muirhead Capital Management & 2012 Seminar Guest Speaker
To read a review of the seminar in Canadian Business Online click here.
For lists and photos of past participants click here.
Alternative format and dates are available for groups of over 15 participants.
For more information and to register, see http://valueinvestingeducation.com/seminars.htm